08 February 2018

Upgrade In Progress

Computer systems here a tied up for another day or so. It takes an insanely long time to mirror a couple of Terabytes to two external drives before the clearing begins. But, if all goes well, i'll be able to upgrade the software and get back into some artwork this weekend.

Meanwhile - a quick promotional blurb:

The latest edition of Jack Kirby Collector (#73) is out!


Oddly enough, 73 is one of my primary use numbers. I have several of them, not just 3. There is 27 (3 to the 3rd power), and then 73 (the balancing percentile to 27). You'll find these numbers embedded throughout my artwork, though often in unseen ways.

But why would one of my primary numbers trigger an "Oddly enough"? This is the first time anything from me appears in the magazine. Remember the King Kirby 100 Challenge crossword puzzle from the KK100 celebration in August? It gets a nice 2 page spread in this issue. And they were even kind enough to observe my personal obsessions and give me the #3 slot in the table of contents. (Thanks, John!)

The issue looks terrific, but i can't really tell you much about it - because i just found it in my mail and i'm savoring it. I haven't seen a new edition of JKC in a few years, and i'm stretching this one out as much as i can. But, to let you know what's in it, here's a primary excerpt from the issue details on the TwoMorrows website:
"In it, we cover Kirby’s best (and worst) short spurts on his wildest concepts: ANIMATION IDEAS, DINGBATS, JUSTICE INC., MANHUNTER, ATLAS, THE PRISONER, and more! There’s also an interview with MIKE ROYER on his work with Jack and elsewhere, a rare Kirby interview, MARK EVANIER and our other regular columnists, panels from the 2017 Kirby Centennial celebration, pencil art galleries, and some one-shot surprises!" 

One surprise for me was that they managed to find a few Valley Girl comic strips i hadn't seen to accompany their piece on Kirby & Zappa, including the full interview with Ahmed from which my KK100 piece on the topic was excerpted. Definitely a cool surprise - but there always is when a new issue is released.


And, of course, here's a link to the book on TwoMorrows.com.

I'll be back soon with more posts after the computers are freed up for use. Hopefully early tomorrow.

cover from Jack Kirby Collector #73 (2018)

5 comments:

  1. I'll get mine next week, but you've got me eager to get my mitts on it.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite surprised by the mail, having no idea when the next issue was due to come out. So no anticipation shakes waiting for it, but all that Christmas morning joy opening it up. As mentioned, i'm stretching it out, just reading little bits at a time, so i can't comment on much. But there's a nice 8 page Simon & Kirby 1948 western crime tale that's never been reprinted right before the puzzle, and late in the book there's a piece that reminds me a bit of the series Gordie was doing on the reworked Brit version of Kirby covers before he closed Crivens!, though on a lesser scale. Not to mention the usual goodies, like the pencils for that Big Barda cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, always love it when I get a mention somewhere. As for my new avatar pic, that's me when I was about 3 or 4. I'm losing interest in the Kirby Collector to be honest. It's in repeat mode now (and has been for a while), and a lot of the articles seem like padding to me. The only thing of interest is the Mark Evanier Q&A spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps it helps that i haven't seen JKC in about a dozen issues or more, or the fact that i'm a tad obsessed on the subject (reference the King Kirby 100) but i still love getting the new tidbits and old pencils each issue.

    So... you're saying my puzzle is boring and not of interest, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's not that, it's just that I tend to comment when I'm in a relaxed mood. Therefore, anything that requires mental energy on my part sort of goes over my head.

      Delete