01 November 2017

Hunting Season


November is here, as noted earlier, and hunting season is in full swing sixty-one years ago. (I've mentioned my relationship with time is kind of loopy, right?)

To mark the season, we turn to Professor Tom Lehrer, a most noteworthy social educator. For the unfamiliar heathenry, other songs from our delightful maestro include The Masochism Tango and The Vatican Rag, classics & personal faves both, and many others.

The Dude brought in Jim Davis to illustrate their presentation of Prof. Lehrer's words and music for The Hunting Song:

The Hunting Song
by Prof. Tom Lehrer

I always will remember,
'Twas a year ago November,
I went out to hunt some deer
on a morning bright and clear.
I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow -
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow.



I was in no mood to trifle,
I took down my trusty rifle
and went out to stalk my prey.
What a haul I made that day!
I tied them to my fender and I drome them home somehow -
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a cow.


The Law was very firm, it
took away my permit,
the worst punishment I ever endured.
It turned out the was a reason,
cows were out of season,
and one of the hunters wasn't insured.



People ask me how I do it,
and I say there's nothing to it.
You just stand there looking cute,
and when something moves, you shoot!
And there's ten stuffed heads in my trophy room right now -
Two game wardens, seven hunters, and a purebred Guernsey cow.


Jim Davis banner art was savaged in the presentation above, so here's the original page layout for your perusal:


We'll definitely have to come back to The Dude again. Not only did they pair Davis & Lehrer as we've seen here, but you might have noticed some names on the cover tucked up the corner there. Top of the list is D.H. Lawrence, who provided a social essay:


and hidden in the back unannounced was new fiction from Harlan Ellison:


Most certainly worth a return visit, don't you think?

the works from The Dude v.1 # 2 (1956)

No comments:

Post a Comment