05 September 2020

Early Comics - 1891's Facetious Serpent

EDIT: Being the deranged Alien creature that i am, i did not even notice that the shapes that the snake is taking here are letters, much less see that they formed a word. I in no way meant to disparage Gordie with a slur i didn't perceive.
Any IDIOT involved here is the damn fool who couldn't see the actual joke of the strip. 
Carry on.

This post is actually just a reply to Kid, so it's Very short. But, i figured it was worth making it into a post simply because it's a comic strip from a time before a lot of us think of their having been comic strips - back in January of 1891.

From Harper's New Monthly Magazine, artist Caran d'Ache brings us The Facetious Serpent -





Now i need cuppa to wake up the rest of the way...


page art by Caran d'Ache from Harper's New Monthly Magazine #488 (1891)

7 comments:

  1. All I can take from that is that you seem to be calling me an idiot. Alternative explanations welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it help for interpretation that i'm setting myself as the serpent that keeps shifting shape until it drives the man crazy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Fair rule of thumb - never assume i'm mocking you when i might be mocking me. I well know how far off the main beam i'm placed)

      Delete
    2. Well, it is a little ambiguous. 'A reply to Kid' - and then the word 'idiot' spelled out (which a lot of people would agree with, so you wouldn't be alone if that was your assessment of me). And if you're the serpent and I'm the man, you haven't driven me crazy so I don't really see how it applies to me. Oh, well.

      Delete
    3. Slap me

      I didn't even notice the shapes as letters, much less see the word

      Obviously, i was more desperate for that cuppa than i knew

      Sorry about that

      Delete
    4. The post has been edited to correct any public misconceptions.
      Truly sorry, mate.

      Delete
    5. Nae bother. As you were.

      Delete