15 July 2018

Sunday Morning Funny Animals

I seem to be stuck in the '40s, so let's just roll with it. For our Sunday Morning Funnies this week, Funny Animals of the Fourties seems like a workable theme, eh?

Let's start out with another visit by Walrus Whopper -


DC's Comic Cavalcade featured a host of funny animals back in the '40s, including Dodo & Frog, Nutsy Squirrel, Blabber Mouse, the Raccoon Kids, Tortoise & Hare, and Goofy Goose. But the big duo, who stuck around for decades, was Fox & Crow -


Pelican Pete was an odd bird, no doubt. Beyond his Felix style "bag o tricks" pelican beak, he also lived... 'between worlds' seems the best description. Take a look at this tale, featuring art by Otto Feuer -


pages from Animal Antics #5, Comic Cavalcade #30, and Leading Comics #29 (1947, 1948)

2 comments:

  1. I used to read FOX & CROW comics to my son (now 21) when he was little. I did a Leo Gorcey voice for the Crow and a prissy Franklin Pangborn as the Fox. I don't know how good my impressions were but hey, he had no idea who those actors were anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest is just about double yours. Astounding how they just don't stop growing up on us.
    I have a tendency to cast old actors for voices when reading to others, too. I figure i picked up the habit from all the old cartoons i grew up watching - or more to the point, listening to all the actor impersonations popping up in those toons.

    ReplyDelete