24 June 2019

...We've Seen The Odd Disturbance Or Two...

There are times when my mind and i are ... i guess 'frenemies' is probably the best term these days. I've made mention of how it can wander away from me, and that was a major part of the recent down time.

That's terribly vague and offers little understanding of how things can work around here...


Aside from my odd existence as a hermit (I typically interact with other humans twice a month - fetching supplies and letting the med techs poke & take their samples. Hermit.) things can get kind of weird for how my mind and i interact. Much of the time, we're quite chill together. We were a top performance team for a long time, after all. But other times...

Here's an every day type example of how it sometimes work.

I was debating what to make for dinner for a bit. I was feeling like doing breakfast for dinner with some bacon, eggs & hash browns or cooking up some pork chops and some black pepper beans with some bisquits or corn bread to sop it up. Eventually i wound up deciding on something in between instead - pork chops & hash browns. (Hash browns can make for some pretty good dinner taters when the mood is right) So, i get up and go to cut a couple chops off some pork loin.

A bit later i realize that i've minced the pork loin and i'm chopping up onion, bell pepper, cilantro & garlic. Apparently i'm making tacos for dinner.

Now, don't get me wrong. They were very good tacos (scratch, not packet mix, cooked street style) and i enjoyed them quite a bit. I just wasn't really involved in the decision making process.

Not surprisingly, this makes it fairly impossible for me to work these days when i can't reliably depend upon my mind to go where the editor/publisher needs it to be. Hence the early retirement.

Generally speaking, we maintain an equitable accord. But when it gets a mood, it's quite difficult, if not impossible, to work against it. Push harder, and it's got all those little mental tricks to divert and distract, or to zone out and shut down. Dirty tricks, they is.

Hopefully, i'll write more about things upstairs over time. It would be good for me, even if boring for you. At least it gives a little insight into what happened when things went quiet around here.




Don't worry.

I'm pretty sure none of this ever happened now...


art from Sensational She-Hulk #s 11 & 47 (1990, 1993)

No comments:

Post a Comment