25 February 2018

Sunday Matinee - Return Of The Clown


After yesterday's matinee with Joe Guy, i made reference to The Clown being Magno's big bad.

I suspect that prompted a fair number of "Huh?"s and the like. So let's return to Louis Ferstadt once again for another matinee comic today - from Four Favorites and his ongoing Magno & Davey series. Originally the strip featured a different villain each episode, but in #8 The Clown appeared and he became their recurring mastermind to face off with each month.

Issue #12 of 4 Favorites also featured a cover by Ferstadt (right) and the Lash Lightning tale, which is probably his most frequently referenced artwork - and arguably some of the oddest. So i guess i should run it here, even though i've avoided it thus far due to the frequency of use elsewhere.

Anyway, that's another day - or at least another post.
For now, here's Magno & Davey vs. The Clown -


4 comments:

  1. I'm going to sound like a broken record but again these Four Favorites and Super Mystery offer up some of the best from the golden age of course my opinion! I know the stories and art are out there but that is what makes these comics so cool! Mixed up with Kurtzman and L.B. Cole who needs drugs or alcohol just read a few of these! There must be a few others that are interested though becausce they always sell for a good price at auction which is bit annoying for a poor man like me! I have read somewhere that some do not like H.Kurtzman's early work a shame becausce of this early influence working in the Ferstadt studio I think it helped set him up for his later work anyway again that's my opinion and I am not an expert. As a matter of interest have you seen the cover he did for Sharp comic number 2? Probably the nearest comic work to his murals that I have seen. Heritage have a couple of examples sold if you have not seen it. Thanks again FF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good record gets played many times.
    Thanks for bringing up Harvey Kurtzman - i don't believe i had mentioned that he worked in Ferstadt's studio, but the mutual influences are readily apparent.
    I'm planning a batch of Louis Ferstadt covers for later in the week - not surprisingly many come from Four Favorites and Super Mystery comics. But i had not seen, nor heard of, Sharp Comics before. I found the cover you mentioned, and i see what you mean. I'll include it in the cover gallery.
    Now i wonder if i can find the actual comic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover blog sounds a great idea. As you mentioned his examples are scattered around the web so to get as many in one blog is a good move. Re Sharp it is supposed to be a Gerber 8. I purchased mine a few years ago and have only seen one more on ebay plus Heritages, there are eight graded so they are out there. If you do not find a copy I can scan either the splash or story of pioneer plus have some other scans that you may be interested in just let me know? Anyway don't want to but in but I do not think I have seen the sharp Pioneer example anywhere on the net. Pioneer is also on the cover of Lucky 7 comic (Another story with that) another nice Ferstadt cover. FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pulled that Lucky 7 and like the cover, but forgot it for the cover gallery.
    I'm afraid you lost me with the "Gerber 8". The only thing that comes to mind is a marauding band of infants on a baby food fueled crime spree. I'm pretty sure that's not right.

    ReplyDelete