18 November 2017

Secret Of The Golden Monkees

Some surprises are more surprising than others by virtue of how long they managed to remain hidden.

I'm a fairly big fan of The Monkees - i've got their 5 first albums and several more on my hard drive, and would include Goin' Down in most any list of my all time favorite songs. I thought Head was great, if too soon, and loved 33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee. I'm looking forward to their upcoming appearance in The Archies.

I'm a fairly big fan of UK Annuals. They're like nothing we get in the USA - big hard cover book filled with comics, stories, games & puzzles, and imagination. I never pass any opportunity to dig through a pile of them seeking new treasures.

So how did it take until this week for me to stumble across this?


UK Annuals for The Monkees for 1967, 1968, and 1969!

Now, understand - I've got the Daily Mirror's Crazy Cartoon Book for The Monkees from 1967. I'd argue that as a considerably more obscure book from the time & place, and yet the very existence of these three annuals had completely eluded my notice.

A first flip through does leave me with one question in mind.
Which is the alias - Thaddeus or Oscar?


We'll most surely be going inside for future posts, but for now, here are the covers for the three books i never knew existed:




Don't worry. I'm not going to leave you hanging like that.
Here's the picture of Davy's Dream Girl:


HolyCrap!surprise by The Monkees Annuals (1967, 1968, & 1969)

4 comments:

  1. Surely the bald guy in glasses is Captain Marvel's evil nemesis, Dr. Sivana? I used to watch The Monkees back in the '60s because my brother watched it, but thinking back on it now, it seems to have been aimed mainly at girls. And I recall Micky Dolenz (under the name of Mickey Braddock) from Circus Boy, which I watched back in the early '60s. He was also producer and director of British TV show Metal Mickey in the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sir! That's exactly my point. Here he claims to be named Oscar, but we both know that's actually Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana. So which one is the disguise?

    I never actually saw any of Circus Boy, and only clips from Metal Mickey. That was before the web and before i had a working NTSC/PAL conversion set-up, so my international video tape trading was a bit limited in those days.
    Now that you've reminded me of its existence, i should go poking around for some episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, right - I'd forgotten his first name 'til you reminded me.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete